Sunday, July 1, 2012

Karma in the age of cell phones

Yesterday was a great day. Little girl had been after me for a month to go see Brave, and it was only to be in 3D. Disney is wise in their promotional abilities, and they start early. "Coming Soon" means 6 weeks. 9 year old girls don't always get that, but with age, comes the understanding of calendars. Perhaps age will also bring patience. She has hit a home run so far in everything else so far. Perhaps patience is more of a necessity for fathers than fair maidens.

It was hot, and McDonalds was cool and within eyeshot of said matinee movie, so I threw out the offer which was eagerly accepted.

We always have a great time, and I mean always. We were chatting about what we thought the movie would be like, and how magnets make the kids meal toy cool. I then spotted a very lonely cellphone in the empty booth adjacent to ours. After a bit, I grabbed it as it was clearly abandoned. Much like a woman's purse, I was reticent to explore it. I can run a lot of my life through mine and the thoughts of a stranger fondling it don't sit well. My thoughts turned to me in South Dakota in a few weeks and what my feelings would be should the same happen to me. I guess I am a serial LD rider because I wondered if he had spot enabled through Google latitude...

It was android like mine, and a top of the line 4G HTC at that. I flicked the screen and found the number for home and dialed. Fax line. Tried again various times with fax or just dead air. Phone number was a 704 area code which was NC and 600 miles away at least. This person was screwed. I waffled a bit on whether I should take it with me and keep calling, or take it to an AT&T store and drop it off, or donate it to a high school kid who moonlighted as a cashier at this establishment. If it was me, I would retrace my steps and adding extra steps to the puzzle would not be appreciated, especially if the Samaritan was holed up in a high priced theatre. It must stay.

I sent the guy an email from his own device in case he checked it from a hotel, letting him know it was found and where, and that I was leaving it with great reticence with the restauranteur.

I hope he has found it by now, and wish him well on his travels. Nice phone dude. "Android lost" is free, hopefully you have that installed. I hope Karma is a beautiful mistress for you, I know she has been for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment